Mission Slideshow

Monday, June 10, 2013

Week #49

Bazinga!

Random Thought: Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic, and so am I.

FANTASTIC WEEK!!!!

First I know my family wants to know about transfers. I will be staying here in Caceres as the DL and my new companion will be Elder Cayhuan. This makes me very happy because we are doing great work!

SO last Monday we went fishing! I hadn't been yet here in Brazil but it was fun! We used meat to try and get the fish to bite but they are sneaky. They eat the meat without us noticing and leave. They come, they eat, they leave. Then we went to our investigators house and had fish soup! It was sooo good!

The rest of the week was pretty normal until Wednesday. We had an appointment that fell so we decided to go to the house of an old man who is the dad of one of the members here. He is just skin and bones and is very week because his lungs don't work right so he can't leave his house. We've been to his house a few times and he has read most of The Book of Mormon. Anyway, he asked us a question that is pretty common here on the mission. "I was baptized in the catholic church when I was a baby. Is that baptism valid?" I will pause here and say that what I am about to say is not meant to offend anyone. I will only say what I KNOW to be true. When I answered him I felt like and decided to be very direct. I said,"No, for three big reasons. One, it was done before the age of accountability. Two, you weren't completely immersed in water like the example Christ left us. Three, and this is the biggest reason, it wasn't performed by someone who has authority from God." He looked at me and was silent for about 30 seconds, then I said,"BUT If you want your baptism to be valid we can baptize you here in your house, being that you can't leave." Now I thought he might ask us to leave or maybe be mad but he just said,"I'll have to think about it. We'll see." So for now we are just letting him think. I will be going back soon. Please for him.
Also on Thursday we taught a new family for the first time. We don't have any big story with them yet, but after hearing the first vision the mom just said,"Quemaravilha" or "How marvelous." We invited the family to church and she said we could be certain she would go. Then on Sunday SHE WENT! I love it when people say they are going to do something and then follow through!!! We'll see what happens.

Friday we had a family night at the house of Elton (our investigating family) and it was FANTASTIC! He is amazing with doing a barbecue. We had the family of the branch president and the family of the second counselor as well. It was a ton of fun and really helped Elton and his family develop friendships outside the Elders! The members here help so much and I am so happy that I am staying here!

Saturday was perfect. Elton and Jussara were baptized!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They are just amazing people and I feel so at home when I am around them! After the baptism I gave each of them gifts. Jussara teaches English so I gave her an english Book of Mormon and she was thrilled. I also gave her the DVD of 17 miracles and she is excited to watch it. Elton served as a sergeant in the military for 8 years and has a collection of knives. SO I made a VERY hard decision and gave him my Leatherman. BUT the look on his face and how excited he was made it TOTALLY worth it. I just want to give this people everything!

I have nothing else to say other than I am so happy.

Alma 5:14-16

Com muito amor,
Elder Roman Laws

No comments:

Post a Comment